Google Earth 5.0 is deservedly a major applicaiton release. While the new Ocean, Mars, and Historical Imagery features are getting a lot of the immediate attention, there are significant changes to the underlying KML engine that will enable developers to create much more featured 3rd party applications.
Google has updated their KML documentation and have highlighted new and updated features.
Here are some quick highlights:
1. New gx:altitudeMode tags which provide ‘clampedToSeaFloor’ and ‘relativeToSeaFloor’ options for overlays, placemarks, etc… See our 3D Nautical Chart exampe at EarthNC.com
2. New <gx> tags for Animated Tours. These tags can be used to programmatically create Tours based on the new Tour Recorder options. You can control location, viewpoint, view time (see #5 below), balloon pop-ups, and even audio narrations – all via KML.
3. Major Upgrade to the Balloon Window HTML rendering engine
- Now based on WebKit (as is Google Chrome)
- Support for most CSS
- No support for cookies
- Links to Local Content disabled by default (unless within a KMZ file) – users can override in the Google Earth options menu.
- Support for iframes (no cookies) – see our YouTube Interactive Query demo