By Roman Nurik from the Google team.
This is the final geo session for Google I/O 2009. Links for Roman’s presentation can be found HERE.
As Roman pointed out, this marks the 1 year anniversary of the Google Earth API. New features over the last year include:
- Mac Support
- KML Tour Playback
- Underwater Terrain
- Mars mode
- Enterprise server connectivity
- Over 80 samples in the demo gallery
Roman introduced ‘My Earth’ a mashup of the new Google MyMaps Data API and the Google Earth API.
To support the app, he’s released new Earth API open source libraries:
- geojs which provides common geo math and geometries
- earth-api-utility-library (GEarthExtensions)
- creates KML objects via ‘JSONic’ methods
- new methods for feature by id, dom walk, and ‘clear’ features
- Animations/effects framework
- 1-line draggable placemarks and line strings
- Screen overlay ‘Buttons’ including a control set like MyMaps geometry editing
- Apache 2.0 License
Other Recent Developments G_SATELLITE_3D_MAP has been upgraded significantly:
- all KML features supported in ggeoXML will now transer to the Earth mode
- 3D objects within KML called by ggeoXML will now show in Earth mode even though don’t in the 2D modes
- switches to and from the Earth mode now include nicer animations in tilt and rotation
All in all a great session with some fun new tools!